Julia Peterkin Award
Category : Fiction writing, 07th Feb 2013 to 15th Feb 2013.
Established in 1998 by the Department of English and Creative Writing at Converse College, the Julia Peterkin Award is a national contest honoring both emerging and established poets and writers. The award is named for Converse graduate Julia Mood Peterkin who won the Pulitzer Prize for her novel Scarlet Sister Mary.
The award is offered in both poetry and fiction. The 2013 Julia Peterkin Award is open to all fiction writers writing in English. Deadline for entry is February 15, 2013.
Submission Guidelines for the 2013 Julia Peterkin Award in Fiction
The 2013 Julia Peterkin Award is open to all writers of fiction writing original works in English. Previously published works are eligible for inclusion in the submission.
Manuscript Format Guidelines
Entries must be typed on quality paper, 8 1/2 by 11. Photocopies or copies from letter-quality printers are acceptable. Each entry should include one short story or chapter from a novel-- a maximum of 16 pages. In addition, include a cover page with the writer's name, address, daytime phone number, and title of submission. Also include a one-paragraph biography. Author's name should not appear on the manuscript.
- A handling fee of $15 made payable to: Converse College English Department. Deadline: February 15, 2013.
- Results will be posted online on the Julia Peterkin Award web page in late spring. No manuscripts can be returned.
- Send one copy of the manuscript prepared according to format guidelines.
- The winner will receive $1,000 and travel expenses for a reading at Converse College. Winner should be willing to read at Converse during the Fall 2013 Visiting Writers Series.
Send entries to:
The Julia Peterkin Award
Creative Writing Program
580 E. Main Street
Spartanburg, SC 29302
For more information, call 864.596.9678.
- Converse College, Julia Peterkin Award, Creative Writing Program, 580 East Main Street
- United States
- Prize: USD 1000
- Min Reg fee: USD 15
- Max Reg fee: NA